The University of Houston BSCE degree is accredited by ABET, the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (www.abet.org).
Program Educational Objectives
The mission of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering in undergraduate education will be accomplished by achieving the following objectives:
University of Houston Civil Engineering Program graduates will:
- meet or exceed the expectations of their employers in the public and private sectors, and
- continue to develop professionally by pursuing licensure, graduate and professional studies and/or continuing education.
These objectives are consistent with the missions of the Cullen College of Engineering and the University of Houston.
The University of Houston Civil Engineering student outcomes require that our graduates will demonstrate:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering,
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data,
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability,
- an ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams,
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems,
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility,
- an ability to communicate effectively,
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context,
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning,
- a knowledge of contemporary issues, and
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.