University of Houston
Dept. of Civil & Environmental Engineering
N107 Engineering Building 1
Houston, TX 77204-4003
Hyongki Lee, Ph.D.
UH Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Room 354 - Cullen Performance Hall, Houston, TX 77204-4003
Phone: 713-743-4685 | Fax: 713-743-0186
Email: hlee [at] uh [dot] edu
- Ph.D. in Geodetic Science, Ohio State University, 2008
- M.Sc. in Civil Engineering (Geomatics), Yonsei University, Korea, 2002
- B.Sc. in Civil Engineering, Yonsei University, Korea, 2000
|October 2010-August 2011||Research Scientist, School of Earth Sciences & BPRC, Ohio State University|
|October 2009-September 2010||Research Associate II, School of Earth Sciences & BPRC, Ohio State University|
|October 2008-September 2009||Postdoctoral Researcher, School of Earth Sciences & BPRC, Ohio State University|
- CIVE 7342 Engineering Geographical Information Systems
- CIVE 6384 Satellite Altimetry and Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar
- CIVE 7397 Physical Geodesy
- CIVE 5380/6380 Introduction to Geomatics and Geosensing
Outstanding students who are interested in pursuing Ph.D. degree in an interdisciplinary field of remote sensing are strongly encouraged to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV to inquire about possible research assistantships.
Dr. Lee specializes in using satellite geodetic instruments such as satellite altimetry, satellite gravimetry and synthetic aperture radar to better understand earth system sciences. His primary research focus includes quantifying and characterizing terrestrial water dynamics and polar ice mass balance toward understanding their relations with global warming and climate change.
- LEE, H., R.E. BEIGHLEY, D. ALSDORF, H.C. JUNG, C. SHUM, J. DUAN, J. GUO, D. YAMAZAKI, K. ANDREADIS, Terrestrial Storage Changes over the Congo Basin from GRACE and Hillslope River Routing Model, AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, USA, December 3-7, 2012 (ORAL - INVITED).
- LEE, H., S. CALMANT, C.K. SHUM, J. KIM, Z. HUANG, S. BETTADPUR, D. ALSDORF, Application of satellite radar altimetry for near-real time monitoring of floods, AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, USA, December 5-9, 2011 (ORAL).
- LEE, H., D. ALSDORF, H.C. JUNG, C.K. SHUM, J. DUAN, J.-Y. GUO, K. ANDREADIS, Characterization of terrestrial water dynamics in the Congo Basin using GRACE and satellite radar altimetry, AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, USA, December 13-17, 2010 (ORAL).
- LEE, H., C. SHUM, J.-W. KIM, H.C. JUNG, Z. LU, B. HUBERTY, J. JONES, IFSAR water elevation change mapping, ASPRS WGL-EGL Joint Technical Summer Meeting, Milwaukee, WI, USA, June 18, 2010 (ORAL).
- LEE, H., C. SHUM, M. IBARAKI, Z. LU, J.-W. KIM, Towards high-resolution rapid monitoring and prediction of hydrologic change, NGA Academic Research Program Symposium, Washington, DC, USA, September 29-October 2, 2009 (ORAL).
- LEE, H., D. ALSDORF, M. DURAND, J. DUAN, C. SHUM, Science requirements for hydrologic storage change from the SWOT mission, AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, USA, December 15-19, 2008 (ORAL).
- LEE, H., C. SHUM, J.-Y. GUO, Y. YI, A. BRAUN, P. WU, C.-Y. KUO, M. SCHMIDT, H. WANG, Laurentia glacial isostatic adjustment: constrains from satellite data and modeling, IUGG XXIV General Assembly, Perugia, Italy, July 2-13, 2007 (ORAL).
- LEE, H., C. SHUM, A. BRAUN, C.-Y. KUO, Y. YI, Use of TOPEX Altimetry for Glacial Isostatic Adjustment Studies in the Hudson Bay Land Region, AGU Fall meeting, San Francisco, USA, December 11-16, 2006 (ORAL).
- LEE H., C. SHUM, Y. YI, C.-Y. KUO, Application of Satellite Altimetry for Solid Earth Crustal Deformation Studies, Western Pacific Geophysics Meeting, Beijing, China, July 24-27, 2006 (ORAL).
Peer-reviewed Book Chapters
- LEE, H., H.C. JUNG, T. YUAN, R.E. BEIGHLEY, J. DUAN, Terrestrial Water Dynamics in the central Congo Basin revealed by multiple satellite observations, AGU Monograph for Remote Sensing, in review.
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- KIM, J.-W., Z. LU, J.W. JONES, C. SHUM, H. LEE, Y. JIA, Monitoring Everglades Freshwater Marsh Water Level Using L-band Synthetic Aperture Radar Backscatter, Remote Sensing of Environment, in review.
- TSENG, K.-H., S. LIANG, M. IBARAKI, H. LEE, C. SHUM, Multiple remote-sensing sensors for the monitoring and potential modeling of the transmission of water-associated schistosomiasis infectious disease in Poyang Lake, Geospatial Health, in review.
- HOSSAIN, F., A. SIDDIQUE-E-AKBOR, S. BIANCAMARIA, H. LEE, C. SHUM, Skill assessment of an altimeter-based river forecasting system for transboundary flow, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, in press.
- TSENG, K.-H., C. SHUM, Y. YI, H. LEE, X. CHENG, X. WANG, Envisat altimetry radar waveform retracking of quasi-specular echoes over ice-covered Qinghai Lake, Terrestrial, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, in press.
- TSENG, K.-H., C. SHUM, Y. YI, C.-Y. KUO, H. LEE, H. WANG, Improved retrieval of coastal sea surface height by retracking modified radar altimetry waveforms, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, in press.
- LEE, H., C. SHUM, K.-H. TSENG, Z. HUANG, H.-G. SOHN, Elevation changes of Bering Glacier System, Alaska, from 1992-2010, observed by satellite radar altimetry, Remote Sensing of Environment, 132, 40-48, 2013.
- JUNG, H., M. JASINSKI, J.-W. KIM, C.K. SHUM, P. BATES, J. NEAL, H. LEE, D. ALSDORF, Calibration of two-dimensional floodplain modeling in the Atchafalaya River Basin using SAR interferometry, Water Resources Research, 48, W07511, doi:10.1029/2012WR011951, 2012.
- DAI, Y., H. LEE, D. ALSDORF, E. DUTRA, H. KIM, S. KANAE, T. OKI, Predictability of water level dynamics by a global river model: a case study on the hydrodynamics in the Amazon River, Water Resources Research, 48, W09508, doi:10.1029/2012WR011869, 2012.
- WANG, L., C. SHUM, F. SIMONS, A. TASSARA, K. ERKAN, C. JEKELI, A. BRAUN, C. KUO, H. LEE, D.-N. YUAN, Coseismic slip and incomplete moment release of the 2010 Mw 8.8 Great Maule, Chile, Earthquake quantified by the inversion of GRACE observations, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 335-336, 167-179, 2012.
- KUO, C.-Y., H.-C. KAO, H. LEE, K.-C. CHENG, L.-C. LIN, Assessment of radar waveform retracked Jason-2 altimetry sea surface heights near Taiwan coastal ocean, Marine Geodesy, 35, 188-197, 2012.
- LEE, H., C. SHUM, I. HOWAT, A. MONAGHAN, Y. AHN, J. DUAN, J. GUO, C.Y. KUO, L. WANG, Continuously accelerating ice loss over Amundsen Sea catchment, West Antarctica, revealed by integrating altimetry and GRACE data, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 321-322, 74-80, 2012.
- LEE, H., R.E. BEIGHLEY, D. ALSDORF, H.C. JUNG, C. SHUM, J. DUAN, J. GUO, D. YAMAZAKI, K. ANDREADIS, Characterization of terrestrial water dynamics in the Congo Basin using GRACE and satellite radar altimetry, Remote Sensing of Environment, 115, 3530-3538, 2011.
- SIDDIQUE-E-AKBOR, A.H., F. HOSSAIN, H. LEE, C. SHUM, Accuracy of satellite altimetry for river level detection in complex deltaic environments using a hydrologic-hydraulic modeling approach, Remote Sensing of Environment, 115, 1522-1531, 2011.
- JUNG, H.C., D. ALSDORF, M. MORITZ, H. LEE, S. VASSOLO, Flood inundation mapping in the Logone floodplain from multi temporal Landsat ETM+ imagery, Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, 36, 232-240, 2011.
- BEIGHLEY, R.E., R.L. RAY, Y. HE, H. LEE, L. SCHALLER, M. DURAND, K.M. ANDREADIS, D. ALSDORF, C. SHUM, Comparing satellite derived precipitation datasets using the Hillslope River Routing (HRR) model in the Congo River Basin, Hydrological Processes, doi:10.1002/hyp.8045, 2011.
- SHUM, C., H. LEE, P.A.M. ABUSALI, A. BRAUN, G. DE CARUFEL, G. FOTOPOULOS, A. KOMJATHY, C.-Y. KUO, Prospects of Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) reflectometry for geodynamics studies, Advances in Space Research, 47, 1814-1822, 2011.
- LEE, H., C. SHUM, K.-H. TSENG, J.-Y. GUO, C.-Y. KUO, Present-day lake level variation from Envisat altimetry over the northeastern Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau: links with precipitation and temperature, Terrestrial Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, 22, 169-175, 2011.
- ERKAN, K., C. SHUM, H. LEE, C. JEKELI, W.R. PANERO, L. WANG, H. WANG, Possible constraints on the vertical processes interior of the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau and their effects on satellite geodetic signals, Terrestrial Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, 22, 241-253, 2011.
- TSENG, K.-H., C. SHUM, H. LEE, J. DUAN, C.-Y. KUO, Satellite Observed Environmental Changes over the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau, Terrestrial Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, 22, 229-239, 2011.
- LEE, H., C. SHUM, W. EMERY, S. CALMANT, X. DENG, C. ROESLER, C.-Y. KUO, Y. Yi, Validation of Jason-2 altimeter data by waveform retracking over California coastal ocean, Marine Geodesy, 33, 304-316, 2010.
- TSENG, K.-H., C. SHUM, Y. Yi, C. DAI, H. LEE, D. BILITZA, A. KOMJATHY, C.-Y. KUO, J. PING, M. SCHMIDT, Regional validation of Jason-2 dual-frequency ionosphere delays, Marine Geodesy, 33, 272-284, 2010.
- LEE, H., M. DURAND, H. JUNG, D. ALSDORF, C. SHUM, Y. SHENG, Characterization of surface water storage change in Arctic lakes using simulated SWOT measurements, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 31, 3931-3953, 2010 (FRONT COVER).
- ZHANG, M., H. LEE, C. SHUM, D. ALSDORF, F. SCHWARTZ, S. TSENG, Y. Yi, C.-Y. KUO, H.-Z. TSENG, A. BRAUN, S. CALMANT, N. FILIZOLA, F. SEYLER, Application of retracked satellite altimetry for inland hydrologic studies, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 31, 3913-3929, 2010.
- JUNG, H., J. HAMSKI, M. DURAND, D. ALSDORF, F. HOSSAIN, H. LEE, A.K.M.A. HOSSAIN, K. HASAN, A.S. KHAN, A.K.M.Z. HOQUE, Characterization of complex fluvial systems via remote sensing of spatial and temporal water level variations, Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 35, 294-304, 2010.
- SHUM, C., P.A.M. ABUSALI, C.-Y. KUO, H. LEE, J. OGLE, R.K. RANEY, J.C. RIES, W.H.F. SMITH, D. SVEHLA, C. ZHAO, Orbit accuracy requirement for ABYSS: the space station radar altimeter to map global bathymetry, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 6, 653-657, 2009.
- LEE, H., C. SHUM, Y. YI, M. IBARAKI, J.-W. KIM, A. BRAUN, C.-Y. KUO, Z. LU, Louisiana wetland water level monitoring using retracked TOPEX/POSEIDON altimetry, Marine Geodesy, 32, 284-302, 2009.
- LU, Z., J.-W. KIM, H. LEE, C. SHUM, J. DUAN, M. IBARAKI, O. AKYILMAZ, C.-H. READ, Helmand river hydrologic studies using ALOS PALSAR InSAR and ENVISAT altimetry, Marine Geodesy, 32, 320-333, 2009.
- KIM, J.-W., Z. LU, H. LEE, C. SHUM, C.M. SWARZENSKI, T.W. DOYLE, S.-H. BAEK, Integrated analysis of PALSAR/Radarsat-1 InSAR and ENVISAT altimeter data for mapping absolute water level changes in Louisiana wetlands, Remote Sensing of Environment, 113, 2356-2365, 2009.
- LEE, H., C. SHUM, Y, YI, A. BRAUN, C.-Y. KUO, Laurentia crustal motion observed using TOPEX/POSEIDON radar altimetry over land, Journal of Geodynamics, 46, 182-193, 2008.
- LEE, H., C. SHUM, C.-Y. KUO, Y. YI, A. BRAUN, Application of TOPEX altimetry for solid Earth deformation studies, Terrestrial Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, 19, 37-46, 2008.
- KWOUN, O., S. BAEK, H. LEE, H.-G. SOHN, U. HAN, C. SHUM, Topography, vertical and horizontal deformation in the Sulzberger Ice Shelf, West Antarctica using InSAR, Korean Journal of Remote Sensing, 21, 73-81, 2005.