My research interest lies in the area of hydrological and biogeochemical modeling and analysis at the watershed and regional scales. Considering the land surface as a set of hierarchically organized watersheds and associated river systems with intertwined natural and societal functions, I am interested in developing novel modeling and data analysis tools to understand lateral transport of water, energy and biogeochemical fluxes across the land surface and through river systems under climate and human-induced changes. Given that the land surface is an integral part of the Earth System, I also pursue research aimed at understanding and representing of two-way interactions and feedbacks between human and Earth systems with a focus on the climate-water-energy-environment nexus.
- Lawrence, D. M., Fisher, R. A., Koven, C. D., Oleson, K. W., Swenson, S. C., Bonan, G., et al. (October, 2019). The Community Land Model version 5: Description of new features,benchmarking, and impact of forcing uncertainty. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, 11. https://doi.org/10.1029/2018MS001583.
- Mao, Y., Zhou, T., Leung, L., Tesfa, T., Li, H.-Y., Wang, K., . . . Getirana, A. (October, 2019). Flood Inundation Generation Mechanisms and Their Changes in 1953–2004 in Global Major River Basins. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres. https://doi.org/10.1029/2019JD031381.
- Golaz, J.-C., Caldwell, P. M., Van Roekel, L. P., Petersen, M. R., Tang, Q., Wolfe, J. D., et al. (March, 2019). The DOE E3SM coupled model version 1: Overview and evaluation at standard resolution. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, 11. https://doi.org/10.1029/2018MS001603.
- Mortuza, R., E. Moges, Y. Demissie, and H. Li (February, 2019). Historical and Future Drought Risk in Bangladesh using Bivariate Regional Frequency Analysis, Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 135(3-4), 855-871. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00704-018-2407-7.
- Yigzaw, W., Li, H.‐Y.*, Fang, X., Leung, L. R., Voisin, N., Hejazi, M. I., & Demissie, Y. (September, 2019). A multilayer reservoir thermal stratification module for earth system models. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, 11, 3265–3283. https://doi.org/10.1029/2019MS001632.
- C Li, H Lu, LR Leung, K Yang, H Li, W Wang, M Han, Y Chen (January, 2019). Improving land surface temperature simulation in CoLM over the Tibetan Plateau through fractional vegetation cover derived from a remotely sensed clumping index and model, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JD028640.
- X Zhang, HY Li*, ZD Deng, LR Leung, JR Skalski, SJ Cooke (April, 2019), On the variable effects of climate change on Pacific salmon, Ecological Modelling 397, 95-106, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2019.02.002